In HUMABIO new types of biometrics are combined with state of the art sensorial technologies in order to enhance security in a wide spectrum of applications. The project research revolves around two main axis:
- the biometric authentication enhancement via the use of new types of biometrics that describe the internal physiology of the subject, their cooperation with existing behavioural biometrics and the improvement of widely used system solutions
- the improvement of security and safety through the minimization of human operator related accidents in critical operations. This is accomplished through research on algorithms and systems that guarantee the capacity of the individual to perform his or her task before and during the execution of the task.
Therefore the HUMABIO system will exhibit three main operation phases: Authentication (Initial, Continuous, Non-obtrusive), Validation of initial 'nominal' state and Monitoring.
The following are the expected results of the project:
- Human authentication using new physiological parameters. New physiological biodynamic features will be explored and defined that will allow the reliable authentication of a person and the creation of a physiological profile based on these features.
- Human authentication using behavioural parameters. State of the art behavioural authentication methods will be implemented and possible improvements on current algorithms will be explored. More specific, in the framework of HUMABIO a "Face", "Speaker" and "Gait" authentication module will be implemented. Furthermore a sensing seat for human authentication will be designed and the corresponding module will be developed.
- Robust and multi-biometric authentication by the development of multimodal biometric fusion algorithms that combine the physiological profile with face, voice and gait recognition modules in order to enhance the accuracy of the current biometric security solutions. The above implemented behavioural authentication methods will be fused so as to create behavioural profiles that will operate complementary or joint with the physiological profile, as a means to increase the system's reliability.
- Real-time, continuous and non-obtrusive authentication system by the use of unobtrusive sensors in contrast to current biometric solutions that usually authenticate the individual once in order to grant access to a restricted area or resource.
- Definition of criteria and thresholds, classification of various extreme emotional states and correlation to the variance of physiological indicators.
- A monitoring system based on expert algorithms that will act as diagnostic modules for critical physiological states and notify the proper authority or system operator without the interference and supervision of humans. An "Initial state validation module" and an "Emotional state monitoring module" will be developed based on artificial intelligence schemes.
- Updatable database from different emotional states with data of high quality, covering a wide range of physiological and behavioural biometric parameters. A software module for the regular update of the database will be developed. In this way the industry challenge of template ageing is met. This could also lead to automated, transparent enrolment schemes, without the active participation of the subject.